Shareholder FAQs

How do I contact MISSION Registrar?

Neville Registrars, Neville House, Steelpark Road, Halesowen, B62 8HD.

Tel: 0121 585 1131

What shareholding issues should I contact the Registrars about?
  • Checking your holding balance
  • Transferring your shares
  • Notifying a change of address
  • Payment of dividends
  • Notifying a change of bank details
  • Notifying the death of a shareholder
  • Reporting a lost, stolen or destroyed certificate
  • Information about voting by proxy
Can I check my MISSION shareholding by phone?

Yes. Call Neville Registrars on 0121 585 1131 to confirm your current holding balances or dividend payment details, to request forms or to talk to a Neville adviser. Lines are open 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Can I opt in to electronic investor communications?

Yes. Shareholder communications, including the Annual Report and Accounts, are available on the MISSION website.

What are dividends?

Dividends are the payments that the MISSION makes to its shareholders twice a year. To be entitled to a dividend, your name must be on MISSION share register on the relevant dividend record date. Shares sold before the ex-dividend date or bought after it are not entitled to that dividend.

When are my MISSION dividends paid?

Check our key events calendar for twice-yearly dividend record dates and payment dates.

Can dividends be paid directly into my bank or building society account?

Yes. Contact our Registrars Neville to arrange this.

Where do I get my dividend confirmation?

Dividend confirmations are issued each time we pay a dividend. Your dividend confirmation will be posted to you on each occasion. Please contact Neville if you have any dividend confirmation queries.

Can I receive my dividends as shares?

No. At the current time, MISSION dividends are only paid in cash.

Can I get a replacement for a lost dividend cheque?

Yes. Contact our Registrars, Neville. Please note: there may be a charge to replace missing dividend cheques.

Can I get a replacement for lost share certificates?

Yes. The Registrars record your name, address and the number of shares you own. If your certificates are lost or stolen the Registrars can issue replacement certificates.

Contact Neville. A record of the lost or stolen share certificate will be made to prevent it from being used and a letter of indemnity will be sent to you to sign. This is to protect MISSION from the possible misuse of your certificate while it is not in your possession. A replacement share certificate will then be sent to you. There is a charge for this service.

Can I attend the AGM and vote?

We publish the AGM announcements and proxy voting results on the AGM Information page.

What happened at the last AGM?

We publish the AGM announcements and proxy voting results on the AGM Information page.

How can I check the MISSION share price?

Our share price is listed on our website homepage and Share Chart.

Where can I find details of MISSION dividends?

Dividends are listed on Dividend History.

How many employees does MISSION have?

As of 30th June 2020, we had almost 1,150 employees.

How many countries does MISSION operate in?

Our main country of operation is the UK but we also operate in five countries in Asia (China, Hong King, Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam) the US and Germany.

How can I keep up-to-date with MISSION news?

Sign up to receive emails when financial news stories are issued.

How can I buy and sell MISSION  shares?

You can buy and sell MISSION shares through financial advisers, stockbrokers, banks or building societies, or online ‘share shops’.

Why don’t I receive shareholder mailings?

You will not receive personal mailings if you have a nominee holding through an ISA or brokerage account. This is because you are not named on the MISSION share register and do not have a share certificate. Contact your ISA provider or broker to obtain a statement of holding, receive annual reports or vote at general meetings.

If you have a joint shareholding, and are not the first-named shareholder on the register, you may not receive mailings in your name. Shareholder communications are normally sent to the first-named shareholder only.

Why have I received more than one Annual Report? How can I stop this?

This is probably because you have more than one shareholding. You can amalgamate your holdings free of charge by writing to our Registrars, Neville. However, you cannot amalgamate a sole holding with a joint holding.

What is the MISSION stock exchange ticker symbol?

London Stock Exchange: TMG.

How can I transfer my shares?

If you wish to transfer shares into the name of another person or party, you may arrange a non-market transfer. Contact our Registrars, Neville, for documentation and advice. They will send you a Stock Transfer Form for completion. Once received, forward the completed form to the relevant Neville office together with the relevant share certificate(s).

What should I do if I change my name?

Notify a name change to Neville in writing and provide evidence such as a copy of your marriage certificate or change of name by deed poll. You will also need to send your share certificate(s) for amendment.

What happens if a shareholder dies?

Contact our Registrars, Neville, for documentation and advice.

What should I do if I suspect a scam?

If you are approached about a share scam, you should tell the FCA using the share fraud reporting form at This website also provides information about the latest investment scans and how to recognise them. You can also call the Consumer Helpline on 0800 111 6768 (freephone) from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays) and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays. If you are outside the UK call +44 20 7066 1000.