We are April Six, a marketing and communications agency with 20+ years of experience. We exist to make moments that matter, for organisations that are shaping the future. We work with some of the most exciting, forward thinking technology, science and mobility brands in the world today.
About the role:
Our Account Managers are mostly responsible for the day to day running of client accounts.
Their responsibilities are focused around building a long-term relationship with clients through the consistent delivery of high-quality results and consultancy, running campaigns efficiently and seeking new opportunities for expanding accounts. The account manager is usually the primary contact for each client and is responsible for ensuring that work agreed is completed on deadline and with results that meet client expectations. The account manager also holds responsibility for the quality of work on their accounts and ensures that April Six’s reputation for quality, creativity and transparency is always reflected in the work we deliver.
Our Account Managers ensure all work is well planned, and they act as the central cog in each account team, ensuring that everything is delivered well and on time and that our clients are always up to date on the status and performance of all activities through structured reporting.
Account Managers are also expected to contribute to the day to day deliverable work on the account. Whilst supported by junior and senior team members, the account manager must be able to get hands-on and work as part of the team to help deliver results. Therefore, account managers must have excellent writing and presentation skills, solid media relations abilities, experience of liaising with very senior stakeholders within client organisations, and understand social media best practice. They also play an important role in helping to advise and mentor more junior members of staff. They are responsible for the whole team’s results, so teaching and enabling others is an important part of the job.
Account Managers can also be involved in the new business process, contributing to new business pitches and proposals with account directors or directors.
- Ongoing planning of account activities and team hours, adhering to agency best practice systems and processes
- Day to day contact for clients on accounts including ensuring regular client contact from other members of the account team
- Hosting regular client meetings/calls and confidently presenting results and plans
- Management of team performance, allocation of activities/projects and delivery of reports
- Tier one media relations (including planning press release drafting, ideas generation, pitching)
- Content generation (including long and short form)
- Social media (including planning, content, execution)
- Event management
- Ideas generation for current client and new business activities
- Quality control (including reviewing the work of junior staff)
- Mentoring and supporting junior members of staff
- Contributing to new business proposals and pitches, including presenting to prospective clients
- Internal opportunities to contribute to agency marketing, employee engagement and CSR activities
About the person:
- Genuine interest (and ideally previous academic or work experience) in science, engineering and innovation related subjects
- Extensive experience working in a similar PR role (not necessarily within an agency) and confidence in advising clients on day-to-day communications
- A solid understanding of PR as part of the wider communications mix, and able to collaborate effectively with creative, marketing and public affairs teams
- Highly organised with the ability to effectively prioritise and manage your own time autonomously, as well as managing whole account teams to ensure no deadlines are missed
- Excellent attention to detail; able to absorb client knowledge and maintain excellent standards in all client work, acting as quality control for more junior members of staff
- Able to liaise with and present to senior client and agency stakeholders with gravitas
- Able to run meetings efficiently
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to produce accurate and engaging copy for clients including complex science and engineering subject matters
- A solid grounding in media relations and possessing a clear interest in following the news agenda and identifying ways to influence it
- A successful track record of pitching stories to national, trade and online media
- Proficiency with various social media platforms and ability to utilise best practice approaches to increase engagement
- Proactive team leader, with a willingness to contribute new ideas / challenge the status quo
- Inspirational and supportive to junior members of staff, with the ability and patience to effectively coach them and pass on core skills
- Budget management experience beneficial
We thought you might ask that… well, it just so happens we have a pretty good answer for you. Apart from working with a cracking bunch of nice people, we have a number of initiatives to help nurture our talent as well as some nice perks to make life a little easier.
- Room to Grow appraisal system with individualised growth objectives and real time feedback
- Professional development plan – we look to support creative skills growth with internal support and coaching, alongside online and in-person training and courses
- 28 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Health Care cash back scheme
- Refer A Friend Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary sacrifice scheme to purchase a new Electric Car
April Six embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We’re committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re an equal opportunity employer and to reflect our global position, we embrace best practice approaches to diversity and inclusion in the regions where we operate.